6 Steps to flawless makeup base
Believe it or not, but the right base work is the stepping stone to flawless makeup. By base I mean – prepping of the skin, correction, and concealing of flaws & marks and then creating an even canvas with the foundation to build your makeup on. It takes 3P’s to get your base correct –
Practice, Patience,and Persistence.
But before that, here are the 6 things you should follow to achieve envious skin like stars on screen.
- Prep your skin: Like good food is essential for healthy you, a good skincare ritual is imperative for glowing skin. Prepping the skin with a good moisturizer aids in the proper blending of the makeup, helps the makeup to last longer and little product goes along way.
Is Primer necessary? (Yes/No)
Primer is used as part of prepping the skin. It is used before foundation to create a smooth surface. Variety of primers are available in the market to suit different skin types. Mattifying and pore-minimizer primers are the popular ones. Mattifying primers aids in controlling sebum secretion, thus meant for people with oily or combination skin type, while the latter as the name suggests, aids in minimizing the appearance of the pores.
However, if you don’t want to add an extra step to your makeup routine, prepping the skin with a good moisturizer serves the purpose.
- Prep your under-eye: You must be wondering why have I mentioned prepping an under-eye as a different step all together. Here is the answer. Skin under our eyes is very thin and sensitive, and lacks sebaceous glands that secrete sebum/ oil. Hence the skin under our eye has to be moisturized with a rich under-eye cream. The composition of an under-eye cream is different from the one we use for the rest of the face.
Use of good under-cream eludes the makeup from creasing, helps the makeup to stay in place, minimizes the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It also nourishes the skin under the eyes and prevents dullness.
- Prep your lips : Application of lipstick on the chapped lips for sure brings disgrace. So while you prep your skin don’t forget to use a lip balm with ingredients such as shea butter, jojoba oil, bee wax, etc.
- Cancel & Hide : Thanks to the inventor of the correctors and concealers. They’re life saviours. Be it marks left by uninvited friends or Panda-like eyes after binge watching a show on netflix or talk about the monkey mouth, everything can be taken care of with correctors and concealers.
Correctors are available in 4 shades – orange/peach, green, yellow, lavender.
However, below are most needed and useful corrector for personal use :
Followed by every girl’s favourite – Concealers. Used either after correctors or just on the well-prepped skin to brighten up and camouflage any imperfections. Pick a shade close to your cheek color for the correct match. (Refer to my blog on undertones to know your undertone).
**Correctors can be skipped by people with minimal dark circles or hardly any spots and can straight away jump to concealers.
- Clean Canvas : Create a clean canvas with a foundation to build up on your makeup.
**(Read my blog on foundations to learn everything about foundations)
- Dust to fix: As a last step to base, fix your under-eye with loose powder and dust some on other parts of the face for the longevity of the makeup. But be careful and avoid using excess powder, as you may end up mattifying your face, losing the natural sheen.
Last but not the least, blending of the product into your skin is the key to flawless stellar-like base.